About Me
My Photo
Annie in Austin
Welcome! As "Annie in Austin" I blog about gardening in Austin, TX with occasional looks back at our former gardens in Illinois. My husband Philo & I also make videos - some use garden images as background for my original songs, some capture Austin events & sometimes we share videos of birds in our garden. Come talk about gardens, movies, music, genealogy and Austin at the Transplantable Rose and listen to my original songs on YouTube. For an overview read Three Gardens, Twenty Years. Unless noted, these words and photos are my copyrighted work.
View my complete profile

Monday, July 10, 2006

Blue & Moon


Two annual vines are growing on the NE fence, winding themselves onto twine that was threaded through some metal eyelets. The individual flowers last just a day, but keep coming for a long time. The white one is Moon Vine, Ipomoea alba, opening at night and scented. The blue one is Clitoria ternatea, usually called Butterfly Pea or Blue Pea Vine, which opens in the daytime, but was still intact as the moon vine opened.

5 comments:

  1. I love moonflower vine and usually grow one from seed each year. This year I neglected to start one and am missing it. Thanks for the photo. Wish I could smell it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very pretty together! Now I want to grow a moonflower.
    You just start them from seed in the spring?
    How big does the vine get? Do you have any problems with it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moon vine is an old favorite. When we lived in Illinois, it was started and grown inside in pots, then set out in late May to get late August flowers. We grew Moon vine at our other Austin house in a really large pot on the deck.

    This is the first time it's been planted in our current garden, and boy do things grow big in this ground!

    You soak the seeds overnight and plant them in spring - same for the Blue Pea Vine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never grown Moon vine, but I remember my grandmother growing it. Maybe I'll try next year. It sounds like you grow it the same way as Morning Glories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason, I can't get morning glory or moonflowers to start for me here in my garden. In the old place, I had blue morning glories everywhere! I've tried for 3 years with no luck... weird. I miss them!

    ReplyDelete

A comment from you is like chocolate - maybe I could live without it, but life is more fun with it. I'll try to answer. If someone else's comment piques your interest, please feel free to talk among yourselves.