About Me
My Photo
Annie in Austin
Welcome! As "Annie in Austin" I blog about gardening in Austin, TX with occasional looks back at our former gardens in Illinois. My husband Philo & I also make videos - some use garden images as background for my original songs, some capture Austin events & sometimes we share videos of birds in our garden. Come talk about gardens, movies, music, genealogy and Austin at the Transplantable Rose and listen to my original songs on YouTube. For an overview read Three Gardens, Twenty Years. Unless noted, these words and photos are my copyrighted work.
View my complete profile

Friday, February 11, 2011

Iris reticulata 'Pauline'

This little beauty might not make it until Garden Bloggers Bloom Day on the 15th so I took its photo even though the light was already gone from that bed. What a surprise to see a new flower after last night's 20ºF! The prediction for tonight is 24ºF - then no more hard freezes for a while.

This is Iris reticulata 'Pauline', bulbs bought at the Natural Gardener in December. I used to grow several varieties of this iris in Illinois but haven't seen one in flower since 1999. Somehow it feels like a symbol of hope on this historic day.

10 comments:

  1. Nice color on the blossom; really surprised to see it blooming during these cold nights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gal! She's worthy of anything she desires this summer - extra water, a little afternoon shade in August - whatever she wants. What a sweet surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, that's gorgeous! I hope tonight is the last of the hard freezes for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful. Your forecast sounds just like ours - 23 tonight and warmer weather all next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, lovely...I don't expect to see MY irises for some time yet, as we have 3-6 foot snowdrifts everywhere on our property. Maybe by May....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting! It's a very small iris, but intense in color. Think I'd better go unplug the birdbath fountain before we sink down below freezing again.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those Iris reticulata and will start looking for signs of mine in a few weeks as the ice melts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet reminder that spring is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely bloom. Definitely a harbinger of spring.

    ReplyDelete

A comment from you is like chocolate - maybe I could live without it, but life is more fun with it. I'll try to answer. If someone else's comment piques your interest, please feel free to talk among yourselves.