About Me
My Photo
Annie in Austin
Welcome! As "Annie in Austin" I blog about gardening in Austin, TX with occasional looks back at our former gardens in Illinois. My husband Philo & I also make videos - some use garden images as background for my original songs, some capture Austin events & sometimes we share videos of birds in our garden. Come talk about gardens, movies, music, genealogy and Austin at the Transplantable Rose and listen to my original songs on YouTube. For an overview read Three Gardens, Twenty Years. Unless noted, these words and photos are my copyrighted work.
View my complete profile

Tuesday, July 03, 2018

May 2018 Garden Scrapbook


It’s already July. The temperature is around 100°F every day, the world is a mess and good friends are in the hospital and/or rehab. So what can I do?
I can’t march but I can be registered to vote. I can send contributions to the food bank and Beto and RAICES. I can make phone calls to people in rehab. I can work on my songs. And I can still put up garden photos once in awhile. Here are a few from May.

A yellow warbler stopped by on May 3rd. Some of the little birds like to hop around the bottom of the birdbath fountain… maybe they feel safer there? They sometimes sip from the side of the stone.


Tiny leaves appeared on the over-wintered Musical Notes clerodendron/Clerodendrum incisa on May 10th. Every spring I watch and wait and wonder if this will be the year it stays dormant and doesn’t wake up. That will no doubt happen some spring but it’s alive this year!


By May 11th both the pomegranate and the pineapple guava were in bloom. When they flower together the secret garden is gorgeous and gaudy. Unfortunately they never do make any fruit (the orchardist equivalent of All Hat and No Cattle?) but what lovely hats.


A couple of days later the fragrant double Mock Orange was in bloom. A decade ago I carried a tiny rooted piece from my parents’ home in Illinois here to my Texas garden. Their house belongs to other people now but I have this sweet memory.


I had an Oak Leaf Hydrangea in Illinois 20 years ago and am glad I tried it here. The shrub does well in partial shade but that comes with a side effect in my yard. The pecan trees create shade but they also drop vast amounts of spent pollen tassels on everything under their canopy.


Most of the daylilies had flowers but the number of stalks and blooms was half of what they can do in a good year. 'Best of Friends’ is pleasing even with fewer stalks and flowers.


Before snapping this photo I should have groomed the daylily by removing the spent flower. This is ‘Echo Canyon’ and it’s a spider daylily.


 Did you watch or read about any of the Royal Wedding? Some articles mentioned the components of Meghan Markle’s bouquet as being myrtle. My dwarf Greek myrtle had quarter-sized flowers in bloom that day. I think the myrtle grown in England is slightly different but this variety can survive in Austin, it’s fragrant and pretty and bouquet-worthy!

 The original division of this Shasta daisy came from a dear friend fifteen years ago. 


Last year I noticed a small shrubby plant that had popped up in a border. It looked vaguely familiar so I let it grow until fall. After it went dormant I chopped it down to 12 inches. The plant woke up, made leaves and by May 28th a few flowers had opened. So far it looks like an American Beautyberry/ Callicarpa americana but I’m not sure yet. Will this gift from the birds be a good gift or a bad surprise? 


This post May 2018 Garden Scrapbook was written by Annie in Austin for her Transplantable Rose blog

10 comments:

  1. Yay Annie! I'm still following you, you know, and still gardening haphazardly. I love seeing your pics and knowing you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MarthaChick! Thank you and it's good to hear from you. I might have to steal that excellent phrase "gardening haphazardly".

      Delete
  2. You have reminded me that I used to have myrtles. I must find a new place for one or two. I'd love a warbler to visit my garden. Love the 'echo canyon' day lily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The myrtle foliage smells so good and it's a nice green background when I want to snip just a couple of flowers to look at close up. Wishing you warblers!

      Delete
  3. May was good to your garden. I have a plant that is slow to return every year, a hardy begonia. It is just now showing it's leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa. June was hot and dry but the first nine days of July arrived with some real rain, hallelujah. I looked up the hardy begonia and it definitely sounds worth the wait!
      Anne

      Delete
  4. What a pretty little warbler! I do hope your gift shrub from the birds is a Beautyberry; it's one of my favorites in the fall. I understand your frustrations with all that is going on in the world; I've spent a lot of time this year in garden therapy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautyberry, Rose - but the shrub wasn't decorative for long... the birds strip the berries as soon as they ripen. They've probably planted another one somewhere!

      Delete
  5. We had a decent enough May in Indiana but it is sure hot and dry now. I'm glad I decided to check your blog this evening! Nice to see a fairly recent post. I was sorry to have missed seeing you when I was in Austin in early May with the bloggers. I've been thinking about you, wondering what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not up to much! Once in awhile I post here or at Divas of the Dirt but that's about it for blogging.

      Delete

A comment from you is like chocolate - maybe I could live without it, but life is more fun with it. I'll try to answer. If someone else's comment piques your interest, please feel free to talk among yourselves.